Increase Click-Through Rate With This 2 Minute Read
If you think email marketing is dead, that’s about to change. Email marketing was and continues to be a powerful marketing tool. Email isn’t out of style, but maybe your approach is. First, focus on a good email open rate.A good email open rate is the number of people who click on your email after reading an attractive subject line. In this blog post, we will work on ways to improve your email click-through rate.
Exploring what and why of email click-through rate
Your email Click-Through Rate (CTR) is the percentage of people who click on a link to land on your website. You sent out an email, and some people clicked on the links in it. The number of people doing so will give you CTR.
CTR is essential because you don’t want the recipient to open the email, read it, and exit. The ultimate purpose of emails is to get them to your website. You want people to be curious about you, your brand, the product, or service. CTR will help you gauge the extent to which you are influencing the behavior of your target audience. Compelling someone to click through to your website pushes them one step closer to converting from a visitor to a customer.
Now, let’s move on to understanding how to increase your CTR before learning to calculate it.
How to increase CTR?
What we are about to discuss might seem very basic and obvious, but stop to think if you are applying these tips and tricks. If you were, you wouldn’t be reading this blog.
Let’s begin with the list of things you can do to increase CTR.
- Nail your call to action: A little cumbersome to begin the list with, but essential as it is a top priority. When you send out an email, ensure that the Call To Action (CTA) is bold, bright and draws the attention of the recipient. It should be in line with the content of your email. The reason CTA is essential, is because after reading your content, the recipient will wonder ‘but what do I have to do now?’. Answer this question with a good CTA.
Tip: Include only one call to action
- Write to convey & convince: While working on the copy, ensure that these points are covered :
- Relevance to your audience
- Proper grammar yet easy to read
- Personalised message
Tip: Don’t create the body of the email thinking, ‘nobody is going to read it anyway.’ This is a clear indicator that your email is going to fail.
- Test it before you send it: Test the CTA button, visibility, and readability of the email on various devices.
Tip: Conduct A/B testing and build upon your findings. Low click-through rates may also be due to the time chosen to send emails.
- Make an offer: When you make offers or highlight discounts on your packages/services, you are one step closer to compelling the customer to make a purchasing decision.
Tip: You first need to get recipients to click on the email. Once you’ve nailed email deliverability, start testing the subject lines used.
- Consistency is key: It is a recommended marketing practice to have a standard font, colour and size for all communications.
Tip: Consistency helps people remember you, if not by name, by colours used in your messages.
- Refresh your templates: Refresh your templates to improve CTR. Maintain logo, text,colour consistency, but rethink how to organise your content.
Tip: Pick a template that is easy to read and compatible with all devices.
- Create urgency: Make your readers feel like they will miss out on the next big thing if they don’t check out your website. Compel them through content and catchy phrases to check out what more you have to offer.
Tip: Use a countdown feature to increase the reader’s curiosity.
Test copy length
Keep the copy short and crisp.
Tip: Add product reviews and testimonials to make recipients feel curious to click through
Bonus! Conduct a Squint Test
Look at the image below and see if you can pin-point the CTA before anything else. If you can’t, then your CTA is going to be lost in the sea of words.
Imagine if this email carried a text-based CTA, do you think it would have a good impact?
- Research shows that marketers who segment their lists enjoy 18% more transactions, 24% more sales leads and 24% greater revenue.
- Campaign Monitor got a 127% increase in email click-throughs by redesigning their blog email.
A study by Janrain revealed that 74% of customers expressed frustration with receiving content that had nothing to do with their interests.
Calculating the Click-through rate
TargetG offers digital marketing to achieve your goals. Check out our email marketing service and others on our website.